One of the most used methods of contraception today is condom. One wonders why people ask, “Can I trust condoms?” Condoms are important because they are not only used to prevent pregnancies but to also prevent sexually transmitted infections.
Condoms are easy to get and easy to use. Aside from the fact that they prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancy, they can also make sex better.
While the condom is touted to have a 98 percent success rate, the efficacy is much lower in real life. This is because not many people use condoms correctly. People damage condoms during use and render them useless because they don’t use them properly. Of course, one has to check the expiry date.
Pros and cons of condoms
In life, everything has its positive and negative effects. So there are also pros and cons of condoms, which is why some people ask the question “Can I trust condoms?” in this article, you will get to know reasons to use condoms and disadvantages of condoms.
Reasons to use condoms
Here are a few reasons to use condoms:
1. Condoms are effective against sexually transmitted diseases
Condoms help prevent the spread of STIs like gonorrhoea, Chlamydia and HIV. Even if you have been using other kinds of birth control to prevent pregnancy, condoms can also be very effective if you use them appropriately. You can prevent both pregnancy and STDs with condoms.
2. Condoms can be sexy
Just as protection is important, so is the pleasure. Thankfully, condoms offer both. Condoms are made in different textures, shapes and styles that increase sensation for both partners. With several sex styles to satisfy your partner, you can even take things to the next levels with condoms.
Having your partner put the condom on for you can be a sexy part of foreplay. The truth about condom is that it can help you delay ejaculation, making you last longer on bed. The sexiest part of it is that you can use condoms for anal, vaginal and oral sex to protect you from STDs.
3. Condoms are convenient and cost less
You can easily get condoms from local stores, online and community health centres. You don’t need to ask a doctor to prescribe it for you and you don’t need to show your ID to buy it. They are also not expensive. In fact, you can get them for free sometimes.
Condoms are also discreet, portable and small, so you can easily sneak them in your pocket or bag.
4. Condoms help other birth control work even better
If you want extra pregnancy protection, condoms can provide that. No birth control method is 100% effective, so it makes sense to add condoms as a backup to prevent pregnancy in case your main method fails.
5. Condoms have no side effects
Rarely can latex condoms cause irritation for people that are allergic or sensitive to latex. Most people can use it with no issue because there are no side effects. If you are allergic to latex, you can switch to plastic condoms or other brands.
6. Condoms don’t physically alter the fertility of a person using them
They are used once and thrown away after use, so they won’t get in your way any time you are trying to get pregnant fast naturally. And of course, you don’t need to learn any skill to use them.
Disadvantages of condoms
Here are a few disadvantages of condoms:
- People with latex allergies may not be able to use regular condoms. If they want to use condoms made with lambskin or polyurethane, they will have to pay more.
- There may be reduced sensitivity during sex. Some couples claim the pleasure during sexual intercourse is reduced because of the barrier posed by latex condoms.
- You can’t use a condom with oil-based lubricants – it can only be used with water-based ones. This is because oil-based lubricants can disintegrate latex condoms and cause them to tear during intercourse.
- A condom may tear due to excessive friction during intercourse.
The bottom line
If you have not been using condoms, it is time to try it because it is fun. There are several reasons to use condoms. It also has no side effects. What you only need to do is use it properly.