Hair loss is a very common problem and may involve bald patches, gradual thinning or complete baldness. American Academy of Dermatology research showed that about 80 million men and women have some degree of hair loss in the United States. This has prompted a lot of researchers to go into research to find a lasting solution to the bald head issue.
We all use onion as a flavor in our food, but it has been discovered that onion juice is also a home remedy for hair loss. Are you surprised? You are not alone.
Here are the quick facts you need to know about onion juice for hair loss:
- There are certain minerals in onion, which may be good for your hair growth
- If you are allergic to onions, don’ use onion juice on your hair
- If the smell of onion is too much to stand, you can add a little rose water or lemon juice to it
- Although onion is a well-known home remedy, there is a need for more research to finalize onion juice works for hair loss treatment.
So, what are the causes of hair loss?
The most common cause of hair loss or hair thinning is the hereditary condition known as androgenetic alopecia. Does that sound familiar?
Other reasons for hair loss can include some medical condition, as a side effect of certain medications and hormonal changes.
But the cause does not matter to most people, all they want is to regrow their hair and probably prevent further hair loss. The good news is, there are medications you can use to treat your hair loss.
Many people may not have heard of onion juice, but it is one of the best home remedies for hair loss.
Does onion juice really work for hair regrowth?
Even though it has not been extensively researched, the use of onion juice for hair regrowth is effective.
A study published in the Journal of Dermatology showed that applying onion juice to your scalp might help you regrow your hair. The people who had alopecia areata were involved in the study. Alopecia areata is a non-scarring, patchy form of hair loss.
The researchers discovered that after applying onion juice to the scalp twice daily for 2 weeks, the hair growth started.
After 4 weeks, almost 75% of people that participated had hair regrowth and 87% experienced hair regrowth after 6 weeks. Both males and females participated in the research, but the hair regrowth was higher among men. Better news for men?
The study brought good results, but it was carried out on just 38 participants.
How onion juice may help your hair
If you apply the nutrients in the onion juice to your hair, it may nourish your hair follicles and might increase the volume of the hair, improve the hair strength and makes it shine. You may also need extra nutrition to minimize thinning and breakage.
Also in some people, using onion juice may promote new hair growth.
Why onion juice may help improve the health of your hair?
Onion juice can help you improve the health of your hair because it contains the following:
- Dietary sulfur: Sulfur is a common body mineral which is needed for the production of proteins and enzymes. It is also found in keratin, which is a component of hair. So the sulfur in onion juice may help you provide the nourishment needed for your hair to grow and may also increase your hair growth
- Anti-microbial properties: The anti-microbial properties in the onion juice may help you fight scalp infections. In most cases, a scalp infection may contribute to the hair loss. If the scalp is healthy, your hair follicles are likely to be strong.
- Antioxidants: There are antioxidants like flavonoids in onions. And it is believed that antioxidants protect our body from free radicals. It is believed that free radicals contribute to the aging For instance, free radicals may destroy your hair follicles, which may lead to thinning and hair loss. So decreasing or canceling out free radicals may reduce hair follicle damage.
Here is your next question, right?
How to apply onion juice to the hair
For anyone willing to try out onion juice to improve the hair health and promote hair regrowth, here are the steps you should follow:
- Peel about 4 onions and cut them into small pieces.
- Squeeze the onion or use a juicer to extract juice out of the onion.
- You may also blend the onion pieces into a paste using a blender. Then place the paste in cheesecloth and squeeze the juice out.
- Go ahead and apply the juice to your scalp or the hair roots.
To reduce the potent odor of the juice, you can add essential oil, such as lavender, rosemary essential oils, and peppermint.
We currently don’t know any commercial products like shampoos, that has onion juice.
If you can’t prepare your onion juice yourself, you can buy commercially prepared onion liquid extract and onion juice from shops.
Are there any side effects?
Well, if you are allergic to onion, its contact with your skin may cause symptoms. And even in people that are not allergic to it, it can cause itching and redness.
To ensure the onion juice doesn’t cause significant irritation when you use it, try a patch test before you apply it to the whole of your scalp.
For instance, you can apply it to the back of your ear or inner elbow and wait a few minutes. If you develop irritation, it is good not to use it on your scalp.
The odor and irritation are the only possible problem here because its smell can be strong. Many people may be discouraged by the odor and discontinue the use of it, but if you want to have the best chance to get results, you need to apply it every day.
Some people will have success with the use of onion juice for the hair regrowth while some will not.
Remember the use of onion juice to regrow your hair may not be quick. It takes a commitment of applying the juice twice daily for several weeks to see if you can achieve positive results.
For people with hair loss, using onion juice may be an excellent natural remedy that’s worth a try.
If you are not the type that can wait for a longer period or you are simply allergic to onion, this product is one of the best that can help you grow your hair quickly.